Dear IPS Community,
I hope this finds you all well and healthy.
I have had many lovely conversations with IPS families. I am grateful to those of you who have reached out to share with me your questions and concerns about September. My conversations have consistently been parents telling me that they are committed to IPS if IPS is open in the fall. I am so grateful for this. I share your concerns, and with so much unknown, could only offer partial answers to your questions.
I continue to encourage parents with questions to reach out to me to talk via phone or zoom. Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
We are hoping that schools will be opened in September with “Enhanced Hygiene Protocols,” and I fully support these protocols. We are actively planning for this to include:
- Smaller class size
- Health checks upon arrival for all employees, students and adults doing separation
- School provided individualized student boxes with their own supplies (crayons, markers, glue stick, scissors, etc)
- Frequent hand washing
- Limited materials in the classrooms that are easy to sanitize
- Sanitization of the locations throughout the day
- No visitors in the buildings (admissions will be done remotely)
- Limited grown-ups (parents/caregivers in the building)
- There will also be an enhanced policy to keep children home if sick, and sending children home should they have symptoms while at school.
Without knowing what the NYCDOH density/distance guidelines will be, we have calculated the square footage of each classroom and using six square feet per child, anticipate keeping the class schedules we have offered you for September.
I hope this answers some questions for those of you I haven’t spoken with.
Today would have been Grandparents visiting day at IPS had we been opened. I always look forward to this day because I had very special relationships with my grandparents. It always brought smiles and tears for me to see how much the grandparents enjoyed visiting school with their grandchild. I hope you will have loving facetime and zoom visits with grandparents who are distancing.
Wishing you all the very best,
Here are some resources we have compiled. Additional resources will come every Friday afternoon.
Mother’s Day Activities:
- Mother’s Day Activities from PBS Kids
- Ajna Dance Company Mom & Me Bollywood Class: Facebook or Instagram